How To Purchase Or Rent A Quality Student Band Instrument
Nothing can be more frustrating than getting an instrument that does not sound well or has notes that don't even work. We need to try to set our students up for success, ensuring that they receive a quality instrument that will help get them started on the right path. Having your student participate in band is a great first step, now let's give them the tools to make music possible.
One thing you will want to do is to avoid bad instrument investments. Here are some things that you will want to avoid:
- Buying an instrument from the same place you buy your clothes from.
- The instrument you're buying comes with white gloves
- The instrument ships free if you are an "preferred" member of the website you are purchasing from
- The instrument advertises a 1-year manufacturers warranty. Good new band instruments usually come with a 5-year warranty.
- The instrument you're buying is offered in every color. Most good band instruments either have a lacquer or silver/nickel finish.
- The brand is not on the recommended brand list.
- The instrument is recommended on a website that also sells non-music items, such as tractor supplies, food, or crafting supplies.
Here are things to look for to make a good band instrument investment:
- Look for a reputable music instrument dealer that you can rent or purchase an instrument from.
- See if you can actually look, touch, and play the instrument before renting or buying
- The instrument should be from a well known brand that has been around for a long time
- Check with your band director for their approval of the instrument before purchasing
- You get what you pay for, if a price seems to go to be true, it likely is not the quality that will allow your student to succeed.
We and to see your student succeed. Octave only offers band instruments that come from reputable brands. When you are in doubt about an instrument you are looking to purchase check with your students band director. If budget is an issue some band programs have options for assistance for students in financial need. We offer rentals that are a rent-to-buy, your payments apply directly to purchasing the instrument.
Click HERE to find out more about our rental program.